Thursday, February 12, 2009

Busy Busy

For only having four classes, I've been decently busy over these first few weeks of school. Thankfully it's manageable and nothing terribly difficult. I'm supposed to be writing up my critique of a classmate's paper from Poli 360, and Billy would scold me if he knew I was getting distracted yet again but I finished all the grammar stuff and muddling my way through the horrific phraseology of the paper. I don't understand how whoever wrote it (we all have numbers instead of names, I guess to promote more objective critiques?) can butcher their phrasing and grammar so much. The only excuse is if they are one of the students who doesn't speak English as a first language. Otherwise, I have to wonder how in the world they passed 8th grade English. Not trying to sound overly judgemental here, but these people seriously need to learn how to write academically. Starting sentences with "But" or "And"...not cool. Using two "but" clauses in the same sentence...really folks? It's not that difficult. You don't have to be an amazing writer, just write with some sense and clarity! Also, when the prof says 2 pages, he means TWO PAGES! Not 3, not 2.5, but 2. ugh. at least it gets me something to rant on in the critique.

On a related note, I got a text book at the UMBC bookstore for a reasonable price...shocking! $26 for my Poli text book, which was the only reason I actually bought it from here versus online or sharing Alethea's. Spanish book was close around $100...yeah not buying that one. Hooray for the library, same with History, cuz Heaven knows we don't actually read all 14 books. Since we can't do the papers on any of them it makes more sense to just get them from the library as theyre needed.

Speaking of the library, I'm still kinda ticked they turned the 7th floor study lounge into a computer lab, but in all fairness, it has been helpful. I went over to the library to print out a paper today, and I was amazed at technology. The paper was saved to my flash drive, and as I look at it, I'm amazed at how I can type something up on my computer, put a little stick in the side of my computer, and with a few clicks, my 2 page paper is now on this little tiny rectangular thingydo. It's pretty nifty, and extremely convenient. What's not convenient is that I had to walk to the library to print said paper, because of course my printer is STILL on the fritz...gotta get that checked out this weekend. I don't go to a nerd school for nothing, so time to find one of my tech savvy friends and get them to fix it. Also need to make a trip to walmart this weekend and buy ink, seeing as the ink I need is of course the ONE KIND THE BOOKSTORE DOESN'T SELL. gaaaahhhh.

So now that I've sorted out some thoughts, time to get back to that critique so I can sleep.

peace y'all.

P.S. Common Sense Life Lesson for the Week: Don't wear heels to a basketball game when you know you're gonna be on your feet cheering the whole time. I am so smart sometimes...(/sarcasm)

No comments: