Monday, April 14, 2008

we all do dumb things...and then there's me

I love how just when life seems to be going along nicely and nothing is terribly bothersome, God sends me these little messages or allows me to do really dumb things to humble me and remind me of my own imperfections.

So I was having a lovely Friday night. Went to a campaign meeting, had productive fun times there. After I went and chilled with my apartment friends for a bit. Interesting side note, when I arrived, it was dry outside. Shortly after I got there, it started pouring, seemingly out of nowhere. Right around the time I left, it was slowing to a light sprinkle. Scattered showers I guess. Anywho...left there and went to play pool with some friends from the dorm. After the gameroom closed, we were looking for a bit more entertainment and food. One of the guys randomly decides he wants Smirnoff Ice, and another one wants peach iced tea. So we go riding around at 1230 am on Friday nite/Saturday morning looking for peach tea and an open liquor store. Thanks to Baltimore County's blue laws, this took a bit of time. We finally found a packaged goods store about 5 mins off campus (after driving around for half an hour or so). No smirnoff Ice, so we substitue Mike's hard cranberry lemondade. We go back to the dorm, chill in the room of the guy who's 21, and turns out I'm the only one drinking the Mike's, the other guys are drinking other lovely things as we watch superbad (not my favorite movie, but the ending is good). I had four to be precise. By the time the movie is over it's about 430am, and most of us, myself included are at least tipsy. After I got back to my room, I decided, in my rather tipsy state, that it was a good time to go leave comments on my friend SteelWolf's blog, jokingly referencing a disdain for Greek Life and mistakingly making his VP-nominee the author of a quote I inserted. (background: he's running for SGA pres and really working on getting the Greeks to support him). Little did I realize that this would proceed to blow up in my face, as people then start leaving angry comments on his personal blog and his campaign blog site as well. This I discover at around 330 Saturday nite/Sunday morning. Open mouth (or rather keyboard) and insert foot. I quickly deleted the original comment, and posted a follow up comment on both blog sites explaining that I commented solely in jest, taking responsibility for the seemingly anti-Greek life comment, and apologizing for my comment giving the impression that the SteelWolf campaign did not support Greek Life when in fact they very much do. I also shot off an email to the campaign email address apologizing profusely for the negative backlash caused by my lack of judgement and making it clear (as I did in my follow up blog comments) that although I was not entirely coherent, it was still no excuse for my lack of judgement and insensitive, possibly campaign damaging comments. Yeah...I'm an idiot.I felt horrible and still do. I'm praying that people accept my apology and ruffled feathers are quickly settled.

Other dumbness, but not to the same degree...went to dinner last nite with some friends from College Republicans after our convention. Found out when I got back that I left my phone at the restaurant. Joy. Of course the only way I find out is when my friend tries to call me and my phone is answered by a waiter or maitre'd. He then dropped by my room to tell me that my phone was at the restaurant and kindly offered to drive me up to the Inner Harbor to get my phone back. So that's what I'll be doing after classes tonite. Thankfully it was at the restaurant and not on a street somewhere or in a parking garage.

Well that was my lovely story for the day, time to go to class. Birthday shout outs to my wonderful suitemate Katrina and my friend Rachel W. God Bless girls!

peace y'all

P.S. Common Sense Life Lesson #2 for the week: 430 am and tipsy is not a good time to be posting comments on friends blogs...yeah...

No comments: