Saturday, March 14, 2009

SPRING BREAK!!

So today was day 1 of the Adventures of Stephanie and Devon, Spring Break '09. Not that it feels all that much like spring, but hey, a little rain won't stop us from having fun. We've got cameras and country music, we're good to go. currently we're watching a very quality movie called "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days". Fabulous!! I'm a discredit to the fairer sex when I admit that this is my first time seeing this movie. I am greatly enjoying it though. How could anyone dislike a movie where the very premise is a woman playing games with a man? Granted he's playing games with her too, but what's the fun in playing games if you're playing alone? It's only really fun if they fight back.

Back to the trip...Steph and I left College Park shortly before 2pm this afternoon. According to GoogleMaps, our trip to my counsins' house on Lake Gaston in North Carolina was expected to take a little over 4 hours. Add in Richmond traffic, and we were probably looking at closer to 5ish hours. The end result? 7 hours. GAH!!! It took us over three hours to get from College Park to Fredricksburg, VA, a journey that's usually 2ish hours (1.5 with the way I drive >_>). We averaged about 12 miles an hour for most of that part of the trip. Thank God for music and "Would You Rather". Once we finally made it to Fredricksburtg, we stopped for gas then drove around for 15 minutes trying to access the WalMart we'd seen from the road. As luck would have it, due to one way streets and no u-turn intersections, it took us rather a bit to finally make our way to WalMart. Once there we bought drinks and snacks for the road. We had chips in the car but wanted someting a bit more substantial since we were not going to arrive in Lake Gaston by dinner as originally planned.

Of course no road trip adventure would be complete without getting lost trying to get back to the highway. Have I mentioned I fail at city driving? Long story short, I got confused (oh so shocking) coming out of the parking lot and got lost for a bit, but thanks to some friendly cashiers at a CVS we were able to make our way back to the highway. The benefit of our little detour was that by this time, most of the traffic had thinned out, and we were able to go somewhere around the speed limit for the rest of the trip. Steph fell asleep for a bit, but I eventually had to wake her up once we got to the border of VA and NC so she could navigate for me.

The rest of the trip was fairly easy, except I discovered that my driver's side windshield wiper is not clearing properly, and is conveniently leaving a not so clear splotch right in my line of vision. Joyous. I mentioned it to my Uncle and he said he'll take a look at it tomorrow (or later today by this point, seeing as it's after 3am). Spent the evening chilling out watching TV and chit chatting with everyone since we've been here, very relaxing. We'll stay here for most of tomorrow/today and head down to Calabash, NC to crash with my super awesome grandparents for a few days.

Okay, sleep now as I'm very tired and my battery is dying on my laptop. I'll charge my baby overnite then write more as our adventures progress. We're making a video diary of our trip, so many pictures and videos to come, both here and on facebook.

Quote for the day: "If WalMart was a person, I think I'd marry it. I'd call it Wally!" ~Steph

Peace y'all.

P.S. Common Sense Life Lesson for the week: When stopping at a store in a strange city, remember how to get out of the shopping are and back to the main road. Woohoo for Devon being directionally challenged.

No comments: